Monday, September 19, 2016

Self Love September: Day 8 - Forgiving Myself

Kelly discusses how we need to forgive ourselves before we can really move on from certain things. That we may regret certain things we have said or did to another.

For me, I don't feel there is much to forgive myself for. I don't think I blame myself for most things. Forgiving others is extremely difficult for me to do though. Basically, once someone has crossed a line, they are dead to me. I know it is a hard line but this is something I have chosen to do because I am either an all or nothing person and if someone violates my trust, that is that.
Now back when I was in school I had a lot of bullying experiences and I was miserable. I held onto that for a very long time and there is still a tiny amount I haven't dealt with yet. When I got older and had been out of high school for some time. I actually found a few of the people who bullied me or who I thought didn't like me either because they hung out with a crowd who were assholes or something else. I actually talked to many and resolved many issues and misunderstandings. Some refused to see that they did anything wrong (usually the worst of them) and they will probably be this way until they die. I even apologized to some people I knew I had been an ass to because I was miserable and they received it gracefully or didn't even remember!
I have made choices I regret and I feel those are the things I need to eventually forgive myself for. Like most being with certain people who were unhealthy to be with and that I stayed with them and ran past more potentially healthy relationships because of superficial reasons or other nonsensical ones.
One of my favorite quotes I have ever heard is from the book and movie The Perks of Being a Wallflower. The main character asks the teacher why people date bad people and the teacher says.: "We accept the love we think we deserve." I have ran with this quote forever since watching and reading the book.
Anyways, maybe I need to be more forgiving with others rather then myself, maybe I don't. I don't think forgiving everyone or everything is something that is necessary, but moving on is.

No comments:

Post a Comment