Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Self Love September: Day 6 - Shadow Working

Today's topic was shadow work. This is a topic I love and do much of. As stated, I have discussed previously that I have had plenty of trauma in my life and that I have had counseling almost my entire juvenile years and half of my adult years at this point. I also got a masters in psychology that gives me more insight on aspects of how my brain works. Most people who go into psychology to some degree seem to want to understand themselves and others around them. I was able to learn coping mechanisms and find hidden issues by being in counseling and I always promote seeing a therapist if you are able to if you feel stuck in a process.
I have always been one to enjoy diving into self shadows and why I have them, and why they aren't resolved. When one shadow is uncovered it is like a Jenga puzzle, the whole stack of blocks start falling if that one piece is removed, and will have many shadows uncovered.
I have a hard time seeing me in a 3rd party perspective on how I come off at times. I also have recently realized I haven't resolved many of my younger years shadows that I thought I had addressed and dealt with already. All you need is one person or event to trigger the hidden door to your shadows. It happens often to many people that we think we are completely done with a shadow and move on even for years and poof. Here it comes again. Other shadows I am working on is dealing with my dad's death wihch is a pretty obvious shadow and the process has actually been pretty good. Another is trying to find out why certain triggers that had stopped long ago are coming back in. My assumption but not fully conclusive, is that my dad's death threw me back or uncovered everything not completely dealt with since even after a year, it is a raw subject though mourning wise, I am pretty good on. Death is clearly one of those big shadows for most.
I could go on and on about shadow work and how much I love it because learning about yourself is fantastic and interesting, but I will stop here. I think next year I am going to dedicate October to nothing but shadow working.


No comments:

Post a Comment