Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Self Love September: Day 12 - Self Awareness

Kelly discussed core beliefs and being self aware and how to break some of the unhealthy core beliefs in a soundcloud file.

Some of my core beliefs are the following:
Trust violated once is unforgivable
I am a ride or die friend or significant other. When I care for someone I go 110% for them even to my own detriment
Prejudice is intolerable
Judging should be withheld until you get to know someone
Looks are only skin deep and are unimportant
Just because someone doesn't agree with a stance or opinion of mine doesn't mean they are wrong (opinions are opinions).

I have more but those are the ones I can think of for the moment. I know some of those are good and that most people should have them. I certainly was raised to accept people for who they are and not judge or assume things without getting to know them especially based of their looks. I have a friend who had terrible face scars from frost bite she obtained when she was a baby. When I first met her of course it was the first thing I noticed but I treated her just the same as everyone else and she ended up being one of my closest friends.
Many people would say not forgiving a violation trust is pretty extreme. I am not talking about white lies or anything stupid though if repeated small lies keep happening it will add up in my book. But more major things. Sharing secrets, talking shit, etc. I have found when I forgive people for those violations it always bit me in the ass again later so I just tell them to fuck off and move on. Also with the giving 110% to the ones I care about, as stated, I sometimes go too far and I suffer for it physically, emotionally, and mentally. This is probably my biggest issue and that I need to work on it. I know I can pull back to just 100% or even 80% and I still can be a great friend or significant other to them. I often expect them to be putting in the same and that is unrealistic for most people.
I am very self aware of my personal short comings and as I have gotten older I am becoming more and more aware. I also make sure people call me on shit I do that isn't cool or unacceptable or over reactive. Being accountable is certainly a big help to getting over some of these faults of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment