Monday, October 17, 2016

Gifting or Buying Your First Deck

This is a debate for tarot readers that when someone wants to start using tarot that they should be gifted their first. Like it is a tradition. However, many see no problem in purchasing their first deck. The following is my experiences and the pros and cons of doing either.

I purchased my own because I had no one in my life that would have gifted me one. I bought a deck I thought I would enjoy learning it from. The Egyptian Tarot, that was actually kind of complicated with little complex imagery to learn intuitive reading easily, which I now know I am an intuitive reader. I bought it and played for it for a while then years went by where I didn't touch it. I then saw a tarot review of the Steampunk Tarot and purchased that based off my attraction to the imagery. It was the perfect starter deck for me. I was able to learn how to use it on my own terms and it really helped expand my understanding of intuitive readings.
I had no clue there was a tradition of gifting for your first deck by the way.

Buying your own deck...
Pros:
You can purchase what YOU are attracted to
You can feel the energies from the deck prior to purchasing it.
It can be special to buy your first as well.
Cons:
You miss out on the tradition associated with starting your tarot experience.
You, like myself, find a deck you are initially attracted to but find out you don't resonate with it in action.
Being gifted your first deck...
Pros:
You are honoring the tradition.
Getting gifts are awesome!
The person gifting it to you clearly wants to support your new adventure in the divination realm and is hoping their purchase or their own used deck has some power that can be transferred to one receiving.
Cons:
You may  get a deck you don't resonate with or like at all.
The giver may have expectations they put on you for the deck like how to use it because they used it in that way, when you do not resonate with it or want to constraints.
You may feel guilty if they purchased a super expensive deck, that you are taking a clearly loved deck from theirs, or receiving an unfinished deck because unknowingly there are cards missing.

There are more pros and cons to both but those are the main ones that come to mind. My final opinion is it depends on what you are wanting. Do  you want tradition over individual experience? Or do you want to make sure a deck resonates with you rather then a grateful but unwanted deck?

Ask these questions to yourself if you are beginning your journey or thinking of gifting a deck to someone.

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the tradition until I'd already got several decks, but I'm happy with having bought my own. I have strong intuitive reactions to decks, so love to see where yhe urge takes me. Having said that I can see that being gifted a first deck could be a lovely experience, particularly if it came from someone in tune with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of the tradition but in society now I think we are all kind of at the point that we want stuff now and want a connection with what we want as well.

      Delete
  2. makes sense. I like that you are showing us the pro's and the con's. I generally just buy my own decks because I want things to happen now!!! lol! Damn OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't do tarot, but I work with Oracle cards, I bought my own and went with the ones that called to me

    ReplyDelete